Friday, August 12, 2011

Particular about Pancakes [A Day in the Life]

IMG_4911


I subscribe to the school of thought that pancakes should be made from scratch...not out of a box.  It isn't that I don't love Bisquick, I do, but I love Bisquick for soup dumplings and biscuits...not for pancakes.  My preferred recipe for pancakes is from an ancient Good Housekeeping Cookbook, an older version where they still refer to vegetable oil as "salad oil."  I bought the cookbook on eBay when I realized I wouldn't get the copy out of my mother's kitchen without a fight with my brother!

GOOD HOUSEKEEPING PANCAKE RECIPE
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
tablespoons sugar
teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups milk (less milk for thicker pancakes, more milk for thinner pancakes)
tablespoons vegetable oil
egg

Directions:


  1. 1. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl (I use a fork)
  2. 2. Mix milk, oil and egg in smaller bowl (I'm generous with milk as I prefer thinner pancakes)
  3. 3. Mix liquid ingredients into dry ingredients (I use a whisk because I like my pancakes light)
  4. 4. Make 4 inch pancakes in a medium heated non-stick pan or griddle or use a small amount of oil in regular pan.          (I use a ladle and thin out the pancakes in a circular motion on the griddle, a la crepe making method.)
  5. 5. Cook until golden brown.
  6. 6. Serve with butter and syrup or your favorite topping.  I prefer honey and peanut butter myself. 


    I knew it was going to be a pancake kind of morning when Miss E woke up and demanded to wear her cupcake pajamas instead of clothes.  I carted the girls downstairs to the kitchen and let Daddy Dear sleep in while I commenced pancake preparations.  Here is are some shots of our girly morning...


IMG_4908
Our Humble Stack of Pancakes with Peanut Butter & Honey


IMG_4924
Peanut Butter & Honey


IMG_4915
I like to roll mine up


IMG_4920
Miss E just gets it into her mouth whatever way she can


IMG_4922
Even Miss V got into the action


We managed to save a few pancakes for Daddy.  Although I bet he appreciated the sleep more! 

How do you eat your pancakes?  If you'd be interested in a Maple Syrup Giveaway here on making rebecca lynne leave a comment below.  If there is enough interest I will have a giveaway during this year's Maple Weekend!

- rebecca lynne

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Since I had maple syrup on my oatmeal this morning, I am voting 'yes' to the Maple Syrup Giveaway idea.

I am more comfortable with non-fabric materials, so my preferred pancake is kind of multi-stepped...but definitely still easy and something you can do in pjs without really being awake.

I like sourdough and have a starter in my fridge [that I brought home from Utah...on a plane... apparently the TSA does not have a problem with carting starter in your carry-on.] Anyway, once you have/make the starter [http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/start-your-own-sourdough-starter-recipe] you just have to remember to take a cup out the night before to create the sponge. Since you need to get rid of some of your starter every time you feed it, this is a good way of not letting that go to waste. Then, you combine the starter with 2c flour, 2tbs sugar and 2c buttermilk [or milk with lemon juice in it] and let it grow overnight. You might want to put this concoction in a large bowl... I woke up one morning to sponge all over the top of my fridge. The next morning you take your magically huge sponge and add 2eggs, 1/4c veggie oil or melted butter, 3/4tsp salt and 1tsp baking soda and cook as you normally would. If it's the right season I add Meyer lemon zest to the batter and then serve with Meyer lemon juice and powdered sugar. The sourdough makes the pancakes taste a bit lighter to me, and with the sugar and lemon it's an realy nice combination.

Melissa said...

* crap, "a really" not "an realy."