Sunday, May 4, 2014

Something Quiet

Untitled
A few weeks ago, while my daughters were away visiting their grandparents and the weather was just starting to suggest spring, I had the desire to create something subtle and quiet.  I thought this bundle of soft oranges, blues, and low volume fabrics would be perfect to do some flying geese - a block I've been wanting to try for some time.  
UntitledUntitled
I am not in love with the idea as I once was a few days ago and ended up having to push myself to finish this top.  I don't know what happened exactly.  I used this tutorial for the geese and wasn't thrilled with how they turned out, I know it was "faster" but they came out kind of sloppy and not uniform.  There is something to be said for slow and steady I think.  I will definitely make my geese differently next time.  I know exactly which backing I will use in my stash and am looking forward to some straight line quilting and just having this quilt done.  Maybe in the future I'll feel more affection towards it but right now I just want it out of the way.  
My desire to get this done and over with is probably due in part to the return of my children and impending summer weather which makes me look forward to doing something with this bundle below...
Untitled
Left to Right: Meadow Vale in Navy, Sweet As Honey Deer Cherished, Meadow Marina Geos Deep, Meadow Summer Grove Day, Kona Citrus, Meadow Valley Azure, Kona Peach, Sweet as Honey Morning Bee

Looking for design suggestions.  Something large scale...I am leaning towards a Plus Quilt layout...I want to show off all those beautiful creatures and flowers and am thinking it will be my Welcome Summer quilt.

Have you ever had a quilt that you've worked through and were no longer excited about?  What did you do about it...finish it out or abandoned altogether?

- rebecca lynne


8 comments:

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I love the subtle quilt! I'm sure you'll come round to loving it too! I think I've abandoned one quilt but generally it's better to push on through. Maybe quilting it will reignite the passion. I think a plus quilt would be perfect for your summery fabrics :)

Leanne said...

Well, I am inclined to set aside the things that no longer appeal as I have limited time for quilting and prefer to enjoy it, not do it out of obligation. However, I think this top would look excellent with some dense quilting in maybe a light thread like white or silver grey to give it all kinds of texture.

Just Sew Sue said...

Swoon shows off fabric beautifully.

Suz J said...

It's funny how our fabric choices often reflect the seasons... and what is going on in our lives.

Carole @ Fresh off the Frame said...

I have WANTED to abandon ship, but found that the more thread I add, the better I like things. Press on if you can...maybe it will grow on you. If it doesn't you can always...sell it, gift it, use it in the car, or let the kids use it to build forts! Then they will have good memories attached and will fight over the thing and you might have to make another! Ha!

hydeeannsews said...

yes, I've fallen out of love with projects once the thrill is gone. I've set them aside for a while and then come back to them. or pushed through. just depending on the mood.

your top is very pretty and I'm betting it will grow on you as it whispers to you over time. but I can see why those happy summer colors are yelling at you to come have some fun with them instead.

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

I love it, and I think it would be the perfect quilt to play with some FMQ (but of course I'd say that!) Having said that, I'm terrible with projects I fall out of love with, I just abandon them entirely! Love your fabric pull, and I definitely think a plus quilt would be awesome.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I think it's lovely!! I've never abandoned a quilt but I have put some on the back burner until I can face them again!