Sunday, March 30, 2014

Japanese x and + Block Tutorial for 12.5" blocks

x and + with some selvage of course!
I began my blocks using Brenda's sketch for a 12.5 Japanese x and + block which you can find here.
I decided to take her sketch and create a step by step tutorial (I'm a visual learner...you?)

x and + block 12" finished
Step 1. Choose and Prep your fabric
I like x and + blocks that are saturated and full of contrast like this beautiful example from a little gray.  I love the fussy cutting in Gone Aussie Quilting's version (full quilt here).  And there are a lot of other options out there such as doing an all low volume background.  My choices and notes below are just suggestions based on a saturated layout, you are all artists so pick what works for you!
Once you've gotten your fabric picked (and good luck I found picking my fabric was one of the hardest parts of this block) you can start cutting.

For your + fabric:
Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 10.32.36 PM

Fabric flanking the +:
Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 10.26.14 PM

Background fabric to x:
Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 10.13.11 PM

Fabric that forms the x:
5.5 Squares

Step 2: Create the four blocks that form the X
Creating 5.5 SquaresScreen shot 2014-03-16 at 10.03.39 PMScreen shot 2014-03-16 at 10.02.19 PMScreen shot 2014-03-16 at 10.00.28 PM
Repeat for each of your 5.5" and 3.5" squares until you have 4 finished squares... If you prefer chain piecing as I do, I suggest prepping all four blocks at once and sitting and chain piecing one after the other.
Finished 5.5 Squares

Step 3: Sew your +
I wanted to make sure my block was going to look just right before I put all the pieces together so before sewing my + I laid it out to move around the pieces and fix the layout.

I then sewed the horizontal strip for the + first.  REMEMBER: a scant 1/4" seam!
Untitled
Next sew the top and bottom parts of the +
Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 10.39.11 PM

Step 4: Sew your rows
After completing your + you can complete the three rows for your block...
Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 9.38.56 AM

Step 5: Sew your rows together to complete your block!
Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 9.52.44 PM

Have any tips or tricks you use when making these blocks?  Leave a comment below!

- rebecca lynne


13 comments:

Adrienne said...

Thank you for this tutorial. One of my very favorite blocks and I have wanted one this size :)

Patti said...

Great job on the tutorial, Rebecca! I really like the 12.5" block. Did you know there is a paper pieced method at Saw What Sherlock? I haven't tried it yet, but you know I'm all about paper piecing!!

Darcy said...

ooh it makes me SO happy when someone does the quilty math for me - THANKS!! :-)

Patti said...

Oops! Make that Sew What Sherlock !

Jeneta said...

BRILLIANT! I love this block and I love that it uses lots of 'standard' sizes that I can pull from my scrap bins!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

You did a glorious job! I cannot wait to make some of my own using your tutorial!

Annabella said...

Sorry to be so late commenting on your gorgeous block - I shall get to it!

Lori said...

I seen the Japanese Quilt of these x's and French icons- I totally fell in love with it. I made my pattern and have been making them over the past couple months. My pattern is the same as yours. '

I found you from She Can Quilt. You are in my neck of the woods. I live in Rochester. I saw your link to the Quilt Show. I am telling a few of the ladies from my guild about it.

Sweet Woodruff said...

I need to make some of these. Thank you for the tutorial.

SeeLifeMarvels said...

This is a perfect titorial for a visual learner. Thank you.

Unknown said...

I've made this quilt a time or two. I like to draw a second line 1/2" outside the diagonal line and sew on that line also. Then trim between the lines. This will yield a half-square triangle unit that can be trimmed to 2-1/2" for another project. Thanks.

Teacosy said...

Thanks for the picture, I am also a Visual learner. Always wanted to do this Block I shall have a go at it this afternoon.
Lieben Gruß Sylvia