Saturday, October 19, 2013

Making Christmas: The Halloween Edition {Week 2}

MAKING CHRISTMAS 2013

Welcome to Making Christmas - The Halloween Edition!

Personally I have always struggled with decorating for Halloween.  It wasn't until recently that I realized that it is probably because my family didn't really do much Halloween decorating when I was growing up.  But, I would really like to do some decorating for my girls to get them in the mood for the holiday.  Lots of people on our street already have ghosts, ghouls, and pumpkins all over their front yards!

But - I wasn't feeling the ghosts and ghouls too much.  I thought about doing a bat theme, or witches, or just keeping it simple with pumpkins but nothing was really grabbing me.  With the young Misses in the house I am just not gravitating towards the very dark Halloween I used to love in the past.  Our house decor is lots of bright tertiary colors (hence the green banner above which is our playroom!) and tons of wood...making all of that dark and mystery just seems wrong...I guess I don't think scary is the only way to go when talking about the unknown and ghosts and death.  I want my kids to think about it differently.

{source}

That is when it hit me...The Day of the Dead!
The bright colors, the celebration of death and respect for the souls that have moved on and annually come back to visit...yes, I could totally teach my children about that!  It is still a lot of skulls but with bright colors and a fascinating history involving the native beliefs being co-mingled with the Spanish conquistadors introduction of Catholicism...  Much like how many Christians visit gravesites to leave flowers and say prayers Dia de los Muertos is a larger celebration with a similar sentiment.  I began exploring Day of the Dead decor to inspire our Halloween season decorations.

Day of the Dead Skull Garland

Embroidered Banner

Day of the Dead Banner

Retro Skull Garland

Sugar Skull Pillow

Cookies

flowers used for celebration

paper flowers

{source}
I am thinking we need to decorate some sugar skull banners and hang those up...if I cut the eyes out then they will glow from our windows and look spooky from outside while remaining festive inside.  Paper flowers and yummy sugar cookies will be fun to make with the girls...
{source}
And who knows...maybe I'll just have to do myself up as a Sugar Skull just to top it off!

Now don't forget to link up any of your Making Christmas or Halloween ideas to our Making Christmas Linky Party in order to be eligible for the prizes!

  Join Along and Remember to:
1. Grab the button from my sidebar 

2. Make a holiday related post; update your Making Christmas List and show us your makes from the past week!

3. Link your post below, Title your Link with the Theme/Name of your Post (i.e. Christmas Pillows or Sugar Cookies)
 (Yes, visit each Making Christmas Blogger and add a new link each week, more chances to win!)

4. Visit the other links

5. Remember to visit Kristy next week for the next installment of Making Christmas!

- rebecca lynne

8 comments:

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

What a gorgeous post, Rebecca! Who knew Halloween could be so beautiful! I also enjoyed finding out more about the Day of the Dead. The trick or treat thing and especially all the gory ghost costumes have always seemed fun but a bit a pointless to me so I love the way you've introduced some respect and significance into this holiday :)

I've emailed you the linky code, btw x

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I adore your inspiration! Love those bright colours and patterns! You have to paint your face!

Vera said...

Great inspiration. I like those skulls for sure!

Joanne said...

Those skull garlands are brilliant! and I wouldn't mind that embroidered pillow either!! Great ideas for a brighter halloween!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE day of the dead themed things. The colors are so vibrant and exciting.

(It could also be because my favorite video game ever, Grim Fandango, was DoD themed. :) )

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Great ideas, Rebecca! I love the tradition behind Halloween, that's what makes it my favourite holiday!

-Soma

Erin @ Once Upon a Donkey said...

Oh please, please, please paint your face like that! I'm expecting it to be your profile pic by Nov 1. ;)