Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Get Organized WIP

DSC_0002
I was inspired to organize my sewing space by this article in Generation Q Magazine.  Deep breath, not the way I normally want to spend the few hours I have from children and work, however, I acknowledge that it is valuable to keep my stuff in some semblance of order.  After all, maybe I would stop STARTING SO MANY PROJECTS if I was organized and could finish one from start to finish.  [I know, who am I kidding, I am a crafting adulteress...but a girl can dream.]
DSC_0003 
Here are the biggest problem areas...just basically crap everywhere.  I tend to move things out of my way when I am in the middle of something  But, if it had a "home" then I wouldn't have to waste time moving it now would I?  
Logical, and yet attainable?
DSC_0004DSC_0006 
In my defense, I would like to point out that my "beachfront property" has been pretty free and clear.  Now that I have a table solely dedicated to my machine I do my best to keep it clutter free so I don't knock things over in my mad dash to sew a few seams between other things (things = watching children, cooking dinner, cleaning house).
DSC_0012 
And of course, how best to organize?  Um, by getting projects finished...which led to my laying out this almost quilt top.  Because - RIIIIIIGHT - that's what I need...another quilt top.  
I would kick myself if I wasn't me.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Are you a monogamous WIP-er or not.  If not, tell me how you prevent yourself from jumping from one thing to the next???

- rebecca lynne

8 comments:

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

It looks yummy.. I skip around too of course. :) I'm pretty loose when it comes to crafting projects. ;)

Erin Quinn said...

Are there monogomous quilters out there?? Surely it's against our religion...
I like your attemtps at cleaning/organising. And a nice new quilt is always a win :-)
E xx

Tina Craig said...

I need to do some putting away. I was on a quilting retreat last weekend and everything is still in a pile in the living room. My son helped unpack the car and asked why I needed to take so much crap with me!
I'm definitely not a monogamous quilter. I prefer polygamy to adultery. I love all my projects equally!

Ann @thequiltingcats said...

I used to be monogamous until I discovered the world of blogging. Now every morning I find inspiration by going thru the blogs. One of my goals for this year is to become monogamous again! I would feel more accomplished if I actually completed things. So now when inspiration hits I put it in on idea list (white board) so it stares me in the face and makes me complete a current project faster. Well that is the logic of the plan. :). I have 2 completions this year! Which beats my 1 all last year!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It'll come as no surprise to learn that I'm a tidy quilter! I keep each of my projects in a box or bag and only have one project out at a time. Everything has a place in my sewing room (even if that place is in a stack of boxes on the floor!) and I put it back when I've finished using it. I also make an effort to tidy up my sewing table each time I use it, so that it's nice and tidy and I know where everything is the next time I go in. Easier for me, though, 'cos I'm the only one that goes in that room, Archie's only interested in the bed next to the radiator! If I lived closer I'd come and help you organise your sewing space, I love a good sort out! Good luck!!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Mmmm field study!! Crafting adultress, hahahaha! Good name for it, I'm guilty of it sometimes but I like finishing things and don't have room for lots of projects. I have a long list of things I want to make though and I keep projects in bags too!

Greta said...

Yeah sorry I like to jump around. I get bored and want to work on something else. So I tend to have about 7 projects going and depending on what I'm feeling I work on that. I did recently try to get some order to my sewing room so I pulled everything out and wrote it all down. My list was really big and really long. But it helped me to make some choices. What projects should I ditch-I gave aways some WIP's and donated some finished tops that I knew I was never going to do anything with. Some projects got scaled down to baby quilts from full sized projects. Good luck!

Allison said...

hahaha! 'crafting adulteress' ? I guess I'm in that category, too :) I can usually find a good reason to start something new :) trying to shorten the WIP list, not very sucessfully though