I subscribe to the school of thought that pancakes should be made from scratch...not out of a box. It isn't that I don't love Bisquick, I do, but I love Bisquick for soup dumplings and biscuits...not for pancakes. My preferred recipe for pancakes is from an ancient Good Housekeeping Cookbook, an older version where they still refer to vegetable oil as "salad oil." I bought the cookbook on eBay when I realized I wouldn't get the copy out of my mother's kitchen without a fight with my brother!
GOOD HOUSEKEEPING PANCAKE RECIPE
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups milk (less milk for thicker pancakes, more milk for thinner pancakes)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl (I use a fork)
- 2. Mix milk, oil and egg in smaller bowl (I'm generous with milk as I prefer thinner pancakes)
- 3. Mix liquid ingredients into dry ingredients (I use a whisk because I like my pancakes light)
- 4. Make 4 inch pancakes in a medium heated non-stick pan or griddle or use a small amount of oil in regular pan. (I use a ladle and thin out the pancakes in a circular motion on the griddle, a la crepe making method.)
- 5. Cook until golden brown.
- 6. Serve with butter and syrup or your favorite topping. I prefer honey and peanut butter myself.
I knew it was going to be a pancake kind of morning when Miss E woke up and demanded to wear her cupcake pajamas instead of clothes. I carted the girls downstairs to the kitchen and let Daddy Dear sleep in while I commenced pancake preparations. Here is are some shots of our girly morning...
|Our Humble Stack of Pancakes with Peanut Butter & Honey|
|Peanut Butter & Honey|
|I like to roll mine up|
|Miss E just gets it into her mouth whatever way she can|
|Even Miss V got into the action|
We managed to save a few pancakes for Daddy. Although I bet he appreciated the sleep more!
How do you eat your pancakes? If you'd be interested in a Maple Syrup Giveaway here on making rebecca lynne leave a comment below. If there is enough interest I will have a giveaway during this year's Maple Weekend!
- rebecca lynne