Monday, September 5, 2011

Hummingbirds & Hexagons with Sew Modern Monday

Hummingbirds & Hexagons Back
Closeup of Pieced Backing for Hummingbirds & Hexagons

Back is done on the Hummingbirds & Hexagons Quilt.  I decided to take the remaining blocks and do a pieced back.  I actually love it!  I almost think it is better than the front...certainly more peaceful to say the least.  [Post about the Front here.]

Hummingbirds & Hexagons Back


As I wrote in my last post I really wanted to do something organic in the way of quilting to break up the linear quality of the blocks.  I really wanted to emulate the flowers in the gray fabric.  So...I started sketching on paper and then finally moved my sketches to the backing once it was complete.  Using a Mark-B-Gone marker I drew on the flowers.  I like using Mark-B-Gone because it is the closest thing I have found to a drawing pen...and...even better...when I don't like my sketch I can "erase" the marks with water.  I tend to draw with a real sketchy hand (for instance, these flowers start with a huge circle outlining their size and then I draw within it...) and I will use water on a q-tip to erase the sketch lines that are not to be sewn.  I apologize for greyish photos, wanted to capture marker as much as possible.

Hummingbirds & Hexagons Back
Overall Backing with Flower Pattern


Hummingbirds & Hexagons Back
Closeup of Sketched Flower


Hummingbirds & Hexagons Back
Closeup of Sketched Flower


Hummingbirds & Hexagons Back

Hahahhaaa...yes maybe I am overextending myself with such a complex quilting pattern...but I can't let it go.  I've inner monologued about it and I just won't be happy until I at least try to do this.  In fact, yes maybe I am crazy, I am thinking of including parallel lines between the flowers to set them off.  Eeesh.  I know, but I can't help myself!  Shrug, I've quilted script lettering before so why not this?  Well, it can't hurt to try right???  Feel free to give me your advice in the comments below...

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations


Linking to Sew Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations!  Go check out everyone's goodies...oh and...Happy Labor Day to my American readers.

- rebecca lynne

9 comments:

Erin @ Once Upon a Donkey said...

Oh. My. God. That is going to look divine. I know you can soooo pull that off and it will look more than fabulous. Have fun with it. :)

Toni said...

First, I am jealous that you can sketch like that. Those flowers are great. Second, this quilt is going to be insane! In the best possible way, of course! Cannot wait to see the finish!

Anonymous said...

Sure it's ambitious, but what's wrong with that? It's going to be gorgeous, and I agree with your idea of parallel lines between the flowers. It will really make the flowing, curvy lines stand out. I can't wait to see this!!

What Comes Next? said...

I say go for it - parallel lines and all! Your sketching is just so awesome - I wish I could sketch like that, and using the flowers from the grey fabric is perfect! Like you say, you've done script letters before, and really, it's just about following the line, wherever it might go! Can't wait to see this one finished.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Go for it - if you don't try you'll never know (and I'm in awe of your sketching!). It's going to be stunning!!

Megan said...

I say, have at it! :) Your sketch is great and I can't wait to see it finished! Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

Jules said...

oohh!, can't wait to see the finished product!. i love this idea.

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I'm with everyone else.. go for it! You won't be happy with it unless you do, and it's going to look amazing! Can't wait to see it done. :)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Those flowers look AMAZING! You should totally do it. now. ;)
xx